2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Aug 2005 19:32:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Los Alamos plutonium shipments

Lab ships plutonium sources to WIPP

ROGER SNODGRASS
Los Alamos Monitor (NM)
August 19, 2005

Weapons-grade nuclear material recovered by Los Alamos National
Laboratory is on its way to the Waste Isolation Pilot Project in
Carlsbad.

Fourteen steel drums of plutonium-239 left the Hill on July 28, the
first permanent reduction in the lab's brimming inventory of sealed
sources in more than two years.

"Finally, we're beginning to dispose of the sources we have recovered,"
said Lee Leonard, project leader for the lab's off-site source recovery
program.

Only the Pu-239 sources that have been determined to be defense related
are eligible for disposal at WIPP.

http://www.lamonitor.com/articles/2005/08/18/headline_news/news02.txt