2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Mar 2006 04:51:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Big blast planned for Nevada Test Site

Plans for massive blast in Nevada desert draw fire

By KATHLEEN HENNESSEY
ASSOCIATED PRESS/LAS VEGAS SUN (NV)
March 30, 2006

LAS VEGAS (AP) - Nevada leaders and a disarmament activist criticized plans made public Thursday for a Pentagon-led experiment that will detonate 700 tons of explosives in the desert northwest of Las Vegas.

The explosion scheduled June 2 at the Nevada Test Site is part of an effort to design a weapon that can penetrate deep into solid rock formations in which a country might store nuclear weapons or other weapons of mass destruction.

"I am concerned that tests of this magnitude have been planned without providing Nevadans with any information about the possible impact on their health or safety," Sen. Minority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said in a statement. "I am also not comforted by the irresponsible and inflammatory comments that were printed in the media today."

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/nevada/2006/mar/30/033010286.html