2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 Apr 2006 22:07:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Gulport (MS) dioxin and Katrina

Katrina moved dioxin-tainted soil near base
Drinking water may be threatened

By MIKE KELLER
Biloxi Sun Herald (MS)
April 13, 2006

GULFPORT - Hurricane Katrina pushed a small amount of dioxin-contaminated soil into areas around Gulfport's Seabee base, a company representative monitoring the site said at a base advisory board meeting this week.

"We will work to move the sediment back to a containment area," said Bob Fisher, a hydrologist with Tetra Tech, the company contracted by the U.S. Navy to analyze environmental contamination of the cancer-causing chemical. "We have already taken action on the base and we are getting ready to do it off-base. The good news is that while it did move in some locations, it did not move more than 100 feet."

The dioxin came from 850,000 gallons of Agent Orange that had been stored on the base between 1968 and 1976. Agent Orange was the military code name for one of a powerful group of herbicides used during the Vietnam War.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/thesunherald/news/special_packages/renewal/long_beach/14330881.htm

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org