2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Apr 2006 15:13:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Sonar and Hawaii whale stranding

Report: Sonar May Have Caused Whale Stranding

By Tony Perry
Los Angeles Times
April 28, 2006

SAN DIEGO — The unusual stranding of 150 melon-headed whales in a shallow bay off the island of Kauai in 2004 could have been caused by the animals being spooked by the use of sonar by Navy ships, a federal agency reported Thursday.

"We can find no other cause for this event — given the fact there are many things we don't know," said Teri Rowles, a marine mammal veterinarian with the Fisheries Service of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Still, without more information about the behavior of melon-headed whales, their reaction to noise and their location when the ships started using sonar, no final conclusion about the cause of the stranding can be made, the agency's report said.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-me-whales28apr28,1,395863.story?coll=la-news-a_section