2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 13 May 2006 18:30:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Mercury in Mustard Agent

Proposal extends burner deadline to 2016

Tooele Transcript-Bulletin (UT)
by Mark Watson
May 11, 2006

Tooele Chemical Agent Disposal Facility (TOCDF) facility plans to start burning mustard blister agent this summer after several months of testing and replacing equipment at the facility.

"We have 6,219 pounds of mustard left in bulk containers.," said Deseret Chemical spokesperson Alaine Southworth. "There is potential mercury contamination in about 15 to 20 percent of the mustard. During the first three years we will burn mustard that contains little or no mercury."

Gary Mahall, spokesman for the U.S. Army Materials Agency, said the mercury is not an element in mustard agent, but was discovered in metal containers containing mustard.

"We're concerned because mercury is a heavy metal and when it settles out of the air it finds its way into the food chain. It can seep down into the water system," Mahall said.

http://www.tooeletranscript.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=12979&Itemid=54
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org