2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Jul 2006 01:41:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Lackland AFB/former Kelly AFB (TX) landfill excavation

Ranger: 'I saw what appeared to be several 50-gallon drums'

Column by Roddy Stinson San Antonio Express-News (TX) July 11, 2006

Roddy's Rangers never sleep ...

ANONYMOUS RANGER: "Roddy, there is some digging going on in the area that was once the Kelly Air Force Base golf course.

"(Around noon last Friday) I saw a large hole adjacent to the road that leads up to Security Hill.

"In the hole, I saw what appeared to be several 50-gallon drums."

RODDY: Readers who aren't familiar with Kelly-contamination information published by this newspaper in the late 1990s might wonder why someone took the time and trouble to anonymously report "some digging going on" at the former Air Force base golf course.

Explanation:

In the summer of 1999, a former Kelly AFB worker told the an Express-News staffer: "There are some places on the golf course that have some pretty nasty stuff under them."

A subsequent investigation found ...

In the 1960s, carcasses of animals used in radiological research at nearby Brooks AFB were buried at a disposal site at Kelly.

An Air Force document described the site as "an excavated area with dimensions approximately 50 feet by 100 feet. The wastes, sometimes placed in 55-gallon drums, were buried with three to four feet of fill material."

For the entire column, see
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA071106.3A.stinson.11dca73.html

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org