2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 12 Aug 2006 22:48:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Western Australia

From: OFANG <ourcoast@westnet.com.au>

I just have to comment because this week and next we here at Lancelin in Western Australia have US FA18 hornets from the Kitty Hawk flying right over our homes and dropping LIVE 500lb bombs just seconds away ( for the pilots ) 8km by land it is an outrage !!!!

no one has asked us what we thought and to us no way can this be
described as "the sound of freedom" - to us its the sound of a foreign
power dumping its polluted rubbish in our backyard to avoid damaging its
own country - and putting our lives at risk !

This comment from an australian senator

"WA
Thursday, 10 August 2006

Kitty Hawk not welcome in Western Australia
“Lancelin residents awoke this morning to the sound of live bombs
exploding a short distance from their homes. This is not something any
Australian should be subjected to,” Senator Rachel Siewert said this
morning.

Senator Rachel Siewert has condemned the arrival of the US Navy aircraft
carrier USS Kitty Hawk in Western Australian waters, and the live
bombing being undertaken by its aircraft.

“Like many Western Australians, I deplore the bombing of our coastal
rangelands at Lancelin by aircraft operating from this warship.”

“At a time of heightened global tension and the conflict in the Middle
East, I think many people will object to Western Australia being used as
target practice.”

Senator Siewert has expressed her support for this afternoon’s peace
vigil in Fremantle, and for residents of Lancelin who today have found
themselves on the front line.

Anne
Lancelin

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org