2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Aug 2006 18:57:08 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Wyle Labs (Norco, CA) - bedrock fractures no threat

Wyle results ease concerns

By Andrea Bennett
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (CA)
August 18, 2006

NORCO - The results of the geologic analysis of the Wyle Laboratories site was a comforting conclusion to residents after nearly a year of investigation.

The findings, which geologist Theo Johnson of the state Department of Toxic Substances Control presented to the Community Advisory Group Thursday night, revealed that deep fractures in the bedrock below the Wyle property did not pose a significant threat of carrying contaminants off site.

"We wanted to find the migration routes of contamination," Johnson said. "We knew it was in the alluvium but not how it traveled in the fractures. We found the contaminants in the alluvial upper aquifer significantly higher than in the fractures."

Those fractures, measured in 100-foot-deep holes, had the potential of moving contaminants in unexpected directions. Instead, Johnson said much lower levels of trichloroethylene (TCE) were detected in the fractures, while as high as 100 parts per million were found in the shallow soil above.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_4200112

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org