2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Aug 2006 05:21:29 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Assured Fuels

Arnold AFB supports DoD assured fuels initiative

By Philip Lorenz III, Arnold Engineering Development Center Public Affairs
Black Anthem
August 18, 2006

ARNOLD AIR FORCE BASE, Tenn. — The U.S. Air Force’s Arnold Engineering Development Center is taking a leading role in supporting the Department of Defense’s Assured Fuels initiative, which aims to steer the military away from its reliance on foreign oil.

A team from the center took their technical expertise and specialized equipment on the road to assist the Air Force in fielding time-critical alternative fuel testing at Tinker Air Force Base, Okla.

"We had been asked to provide exhaust gas analysis for the TF33, the engine powering the B-52 Stratofortress," said Paul Jalbert, an Aerospace Testing Alliance (ATA) emissions system engineer at AEDC who was among those assisting with the tests at Tinker. "We were asked to quantify the exhaust gas emissions from that engine when it was burning baseline JP-8 fuel and when it was burning a 50 percent blend of synthetic Fischer-Tropsch (FT) fuel and JP-8. We were looking for the differences in those emissions from the same engine from two different fuels."

http://www.blackanthem.com/News/military200608_304.shtml
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org