2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Aug 2006 06:49:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Yongsan U.S. Army base, South Korea

USFK Denies Oil Leak from Yongsan Base

Chosun Ilbo
August 21, 2006

Environmentalists are up in arms claiming that oil leaked from the U.S. Forces Korea base in Yongsan, Seoul early last month. "On or around July 10, oil leaked out of an underground pipe in front of the U.S. base Camp Kim," the environmental group Green Korea said Monday.

According to Green Korea, analysis of the oil by the Ministry of Environment and the city of Seoul found that the oil is consistent with that used by the U.S. military. "We realized that oil had been spilled near a U.S. base, so we went through an initial investigation including analysis of the components of the oil and asked the U.S. side to join the investigation from the inside, but nothing has been decided," the ministry said.

http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200608/200608210028.html

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org