2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Sep 2006 04:00:25 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Development near Rocketdyne (CA)

The Hills Have Eyes
Simi Valley residents unite to fight 'hot' KB Homes development in Runkle Canyon

By MICHAEL COLLINS
LA City Beat
September 21, 2006

"I am not a tree hugger, an environmental activist, or an Erin Brockovich wannabe," said Patricia Coryell before an August 21 meeting of the Simi Valley City Council. Coryell and about two dozen other concerned citizens were there to address the impending construction of hundreds of homes in Runkle Canyon, which is less than a mile from the aerospace and defense labs generally known as Rocketdyne, the site of intense nuclear and chemical pollution. Coryell added, "When I moved to Simi Valley four and a half years ago, I didn't know anything about Rocketdyne and I had never heard of the Santa Susana Field Laboratory [SSFL]."

Coryell sure knows now. In 1959, the worst nuclear disaster in American history occurred at Rocketdyne where a partial meltdown of an experimental reactor released more radioactive poisons than the more infamous Three Mile Island meltdown in 1978. Numerous nuclear accidents and deliberate dumping and burning of radioactive and chemical waste has so contaminated the lab that it is in the midst of a quarter-billion dollar federal cleanup with no guarantee of success.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=4373&IssueNum=172