2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Feb 2007 18:43:55 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Brentwood School (CA) and VA radiation

Hide and Seek
Brentwood School study finds no radiation oncampus land leased fromthe VA, but bigger questions remain unanswered

By MICHAEL COLLINS
LA City Beat
February 22, 2007

In a January 30 letter to the parents of students at Brentwood School, headmaster Dr. Michael D. Pratt revealed that the exclusive private establishment had hired two firms in December to evaluate its school soil. �I am delighted to report that our additional environmental testing has confirmed that there is no radiation on our school grounds above normal background levels,� Pratt wrote of the $150,000 report.

That property, as first reported last May, has radioactive biomedical waste buried under it according to an August 2005 report prepared for the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs by contractor PricewaterhouseCoopers. A CityBeat expos� revealed that from 1952 to 1968, the VA and UCLA dumped medium- and long-lived radioactive and toxic chemical waste under property that is also now part of the Barrington Recreation Center, a dog park, and an adjacent arroyo. The detritus included irradiated lab animal carcasses and ash, as well as radioactive tritium and carbon-14, from years of animal and human radiation experiments during the height of the Cold War.

http://www.lacitybeat.com/article.php?id=5075&IssueNum=194