2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Mar 2007 22:29:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Fingerprinting Perchlorate Sources"

Fingerprinting perchlorate sources
A new technique identifies the origins of perchlorate even after microbes break it down.

ERIKA ENGELHAUPT
Environmental Science & Technology
February 28, 2007

Perchlorate, found nearly everywhere, has become a fiery topic over the past few years. The chemical, which occurs both naturally and as a residue from explosives and rocket fuel, interferes with thyroid function and is particularly dangerous to children. In research published today on ES&T's Research ASAP website (DOI: 10.1021/es0621849), a team led by Neil Sturchio of the University of Illinois Chicago reports on advances in perchlorate fingerprinting (75KB PDF) that could help resolve some hot debates surrounding the chemical's origin.

Communities with perchlorate contamination want to know where it came from and who is responsible for cleaning it up, and isotopes can help answer those questions. But perchlorate can also linger from decades-old sources, such as cold war rocket-fuel production, or the historical use of nitrate fertilizers from Chile's Atacama Desert, which naturally contain perchlorate. "These change with degradation in the environment, and we need to know if those isotopic signatures are preserved. We need to know if the Atacama signature would degrade to look like man-made, or vice versa," says Andrew Jackson of Texas Tech University. "This work is important to society," he adds. "Millions of dollars are spent cleaning up perchlorate, and we need to understand what we're cleaning up."

http://pubs.acs.org/subscribe/journals/esthag-w/2007/feb/science/ee_perchlorate.html