2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Mar 2007 16:40:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Andersen AFB (Guam)

Progress seen on Urunao cleanup project

by Ronna Sweeney
KUAM News
March 1, 2007

The $13 million cleanup project beginning at Urunao is drawing a lot of attention. Around 1945, the U.S. Air Force had used the cliffside as a dumping ground for all sorts of non-biodegradable materials. Now, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Guam EPA and Andersen Air Force Base are moving to right the wrongdoings of the past.

AAFB has been registered as a national priority listed site. And though AAFB remedial project manager for Guam EPA Mike Cruz says the base is not entirely contaminated, it does hold potential ecological, public health and chemical risks. "There has been public concern that Agent Orange may have been applied at AAFB, but to the best of our knowledge we still have yet to determine that that is the truth," he said.

http://www.kuam.com/news/21162.aspx