2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "peter " <petestrauss1@comcast.net>
Date: 19 Apr 2007 19:39:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Kelly Air Force Base (TX) Indoor Air

Lenny:

The Tucson International Airport Site, for which I was the Technical Advisor
for 3 years in the 1990's, had many of the same problems as Kelley.  The
area most affected was the drinking water supply which was most directly
used by a low-income predominantly Hispanic neighborhood.  The major
contaminant was TCE. When the ATSDR conducted its review, it did not
consider vapor intrusion as a pathway.

To exacerbate the problems that were related to consuming and showering with
contaminated water, many residents used what is referred to as "swamp
coolers".  As opposed to conventional air conditioners, these coolers were
filled with cool tap water, and a fan would blow across the water into the
household.  My father, who was stationed in San Antonio during WWII,
described these same systems.  I do not know if there are any of these
coolers left in use, but it may be of concern in the neighborhood
surrounding Kelley.

Peter Strauss