2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2007 06:26:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] The Air Force and TCE

[Though I am quoted accurately in this article, I did also point out that TCE is found in the groundwater at many more than 12 present and former Air Force bases, and that the vapor intrusion pathway may continue to pose a health risk at some of them. - LS]

Air Force: Drinking water not contaminated

By Patrick Winn
Air Force Times
July 8, 2007

For decades, it was the Air Force's chemical cleaner of choice, colorless but identifiable by its sickly sweet smell.

Now lawmakers are looking for trichloroethylene - once carelessly dumped in landfills, leaky underground vats or right in the dirt - in the drinking water at 12 Air Force bases.

Air Force environmental leaders, while acknowledging widespread groundwater contamination, say the scrutiny will show its drinking water is not threatened by the toxin.

"Bottom line, there's no detectable [trichloroethylene] at any Air Force bases," said Kevin Billings, the service's deputy assistant secretary for environment, safety and occupational health.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/news/2007/07/airforce_drinkingwater_070708/