2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 1 Aug 2007 13:12:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Cape Cod (MA) cancer study

Value of Cape cancer study at risk

By Robin Lord
Cape Cod Times (MA)
July 31, 2007

The chances of figuring out what could be causing elevated cancer rates among Upper Cape youth are limited unless more parents of stricken children participate in a study, says Suzanne Condon, the assistant commissioner of the state Department of Public Health.

"Parents have a difficult time (talking about it), and we sympathize," she said "Yet, if we don't have a sufficient level of information, it hampers our efforts to uncover anything that might be meaningful."

Condon said she could not predict when the final report on the childhood cancer study will be finished. But another small study of elevated Ewing's sarcoma cases on Cape Cod should be complete by late summer or early fall, she said.

At the urging of residents, state public health officials agreed last fall to hire Broadcast Signal Labs of Cambridge to take measurements of the microwave radiation emitted by the Air Force PAVE PAWS radar facility in Sagamore.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070731/NEWS/707310336/-1/NEWSLETTER02