2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Aug 2007 20:00:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rialto (CA) perchlorate site and Superfund

EPA's role may grow in Rialto cleanup

By Jason Pesick
Inland Valley Daily Bulletin (CA)
August 31, 2007

RIALTO - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency is likely to play a larger role in cleaning up drinking water contaminated with perchlorate around the city.

That's the word after a meeting on Thursday in San Francisco of city and EPA officials.

"We haven't made up our mind," Superfund project manager Wayne Praskins said of how the EPA plans to move forward.

"Proposing to add the site to (the Superfund program) is on the table here, and an increased EPA role in working with the (potentially responsible parties) is on the table."

The Superfund is a federal program to clean up the nation's uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.

Rialto officials have resisted becoming a Superfund site.

http://www.dailybulletin.com/news/ci_6765305