2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 2 Oct 2007 03:43:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Iowa Army Ammunition Plant cleanup

Iowa Army Ammunition Plant cleanup continues

Associated Press
Sioux City Journal (IA)
October 1, 2007

MIDDLETOWN, Iowa (AP) -- The Iowa Army Ammunition Plant is scrubbing its image clean.

The plant will this year win its eighth straight Des Moines County recycling award. That's a far cry from the early decades, when explosives, solvents and petroleum byproducts swirled into a sour mash that flowed down streams and soaked into soil.

"This is not our grandfathers' or even our fathers' Army anymore," said Lt. Col. Benjamin Nutt, the facility commander.

Nutt remembers a time early in his career when it was common to see tanker trucks at military posts spreading used motor oil over combat training grounds to quell the dust.

Looking still further back to the start of World War II, when production began on the 19,000 acres here under government control, the lone priority was to get munitions to troops "fighting for America's continued existence," the commander said.

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2007/10/01/news/iowa/2123ee2730883da386257367000ebaaa.txt