2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2007 17:18:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Former Nebraska Ordnance Plant

Corps to increase sampling

By Joe Evans
Bellevue Leader (NE)
October 25, 2007

ASHLAND - The United States Army Corps of Engineers will be increasing the sampling frequency of some residential wells, as it looks for a solution for three areas of contaminated groundwater that are not contained.

At the Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) meeting Monday, discussion was focused on what is being done to contain three areas of contaminated groundwater in the plume under the former Nebraska Ordnance Plant near Mead.

"After discussions with our technical team and the EPA, we've agreed to increase our sampling frequency of wells within the one-mile buffer zone," said Army Section Chief Jill Fraley.

The Nebraska Ordnance Plant operated as a munitions production plant and Atlas missile silos site during World War II and the Korean War. Groundwater is contaminated with volatile organic compounds and explosives from these operations. These contaminants include TCE and RDX (an explosive).

For the entire artcle, see
http://www.bellevueleader.com/site/tab8.cfm?newsid=18952627&BRD=2712&PAG=461&dept_id=557010&rfi=6