2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 29 Oct 2007 17:22:09 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Kelly Air Force Base (TX) birth defects

Birth-defects/Kelly investigation uncovers additional troubling info

Roddy Stinson
San Antonio Express-News (TX)
October 28, 2007

On the Sleuthing Trail ...

CASE: In a Sept. 27 column - "Kelly-sleuthing trail leads to low-weight, heart-damaged babies" - I responded to a mother who asked if my years-long investigation of environmental contamination at former Kelly AFB and in the surrounding neighborhoods had turned up any information related to "children with disabilities."

After citing information from federal studies produced by the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry - which found an "excess of reported cases of heart and circulatory system-related defects for ZIP code 78237" - I wrote:

"To my knowledge, no further birth-defect research was conducted in ZIP code 78237 by federal, state or local agencies."

Subsequent inquiries have produced additional "knowledge," including a bit of good news and some troubling new information.

For the entire column, see
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA102807.01B.rstinson.32b3b05.html