2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:15:53 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Washington governor considers Hanford lawsuit

Gregoire may sue feds over Hanford cleanup

By Alicia Mundy
Seattle Times (WA)
February 27, 2008

WASHINGTON - Nearly 20 years after negotiating the federal cleanup of
the Hanford reservation nuclear-waste site, Gov. Christine Gregoire may
be on the verge of suing the U.S. government for failing to fund its
obligations.

"We're short of options," Gregoire, a Democrat, said in a press briefing
Tuesday on Capitol Hill. She said her timetable for deciding is "soon."

Gregoire had just come from meeting with Secretary of Energy Samuel
Bodman. She said the two had previously agreed that if negotiations on
federal funding hit a dead end, she would call him about the next steps,
including legal action.

Earlier in the day, she discussed the situation with the state
congressional delegation. "We basically agreed to go back to the table
one more time," she said.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2004244995_gregoire27m.html