2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 11:37:49 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS, NATIVE PEOPLES: Kaho'olawe (HI) fund dwindling

Fund to restore island down to $20M
Money may dry up in 5 years, putting island's restoration in jeopardy

By Christie Wilson
Honolulu Advertiser
May 18, 2008

A $33 million trust fund set up with federal money to restore Kaho'olawe has dwindled to $20 million, endangering efforts to revive the island as a center of Native Hawaiian culture.

Without spending cuts and new revenue sources, the money will run out in five years, according to Michael K. Naho'opi'i, newly appointed executive director of the Kaho'olawe Island Reserve Commission, a seven-member panel tasked with managing the island in trust until it can be transferred to a sovereign Native Hawaiian entity.

"We are not living within our means, and if we don't do anything, we will lose it all in five years," Naho'opi'i said.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/200805180100/NEWS11/805180380