2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 09:01:57 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: North Hills (MT) clearance

National Guard to begin new UXO search in North Hills

By MARTIN J. KIDSTON
Helena Independent Record (MT)
September 4, 2008

The Montana National Guard mailed out 400 flyers Tuesday to residents living in a narrow swath of the North Hills, where ordnance crews will begin a new sweep to locate unexploded projectiles fired more than 50 years ago.

The letter, received by residents on Wednesday, includes a list of mortar rounds, artillery shells and tank projectiles - among other munitions - with cautionary words to leave the ordnance alone.

"Since September of last year, we've been engaged in an intensive survey for UXO in the north Helena Valley," said Cliff Youmans, the state's unexploded ordnance, or UXO, project leader. "This is a continuation of the work we've been doing, and we wanted residents to know what we were up to."

http://www.helenair.com/articles/2008/09/04/top/80lo_080904_uxo.txt