2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2008 08:41:32 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Ft. A.P. Hill (VA) vs. sprawl

A. P. Hill fights for its mission THE MILITARY AND SPRAWL A. P. HILL IN

By RUSTY DENNEN
Fredericksburg Free Lance-Star (VA)
September 4, 2008

Fort A. P. Hill has been carefully guarding forests, streams and fields for years on its 76,000 acres in Caroline County.

Now the battle has shifted outside the gates in a mission that could very well dictate whether A. P. Hill continues to be one of the Army's premier training venues.

As installations become green oases in seas of development, the military is teaming up with conservation organizations to keep development at bay.

"We're looking at places like Oceana, and we don't want that hindrance at A. P. Hill," said Terry Banks, chief of the post's environmental division. In 2005, the Base Realignment and Closure process cited sprawl and encroachment around Oceana Naval Air Station in its recommendation to move a major jet command from Virginia to Florida.

http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/092008/09042008/406435