2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 10:56:37 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RESOURCE MANAGEMENT: Camp Edwards (MA) prescribed burns

Military base has torched earth policy

By George Brennan
Cape Cod Times MA)
November 22, 2008

CAMP EDWARDS - Nearly 50 acres of underbrush was burned yesterday, clearing a blackened path for box turtles and foot soldiers.

Since 2000, prescribed burns - fires set under controlled conditions - have become an important part of the mission at the Massachusetts Military Reservation, said Michael Ciaranca, deputy director of the Massachusetts National Guard's Environmental & Readiness Center.

Yesterday, as flames ripped through leaves and bramble in a military training area, burn boss Joel Carlson of Northeast Forest & Fire Management, said the weather was cooperating.

"It's almost perfect conditions," Carlson said. "We're right on the edge of it being too wet. We're happy about that because we don't want to kill many trees in this burn, just the shrubbery."

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081122/NEWS/811220317/-1/NEWSLETTER100