2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 11:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION: "Uranium Contamination Haunts Navajo Country"

Uranium Contamination Haunts Navajo Country

By DAN FROSCH
New York Times
July 27, 2009

TEEC NOS POS, Ariz. - It was one year ago that the environmental scientist showed up at Fred Slowman's door, deep in the heart of Navajo country, and warned that it was unsafe for him to stay there.

The Slowman home, the same one-level cinderblock structure his family had lived in for nearly a half-century, was contaminated with potentially dangerous levels of uranium from the days of the cold war, when hundreds of uranium mines dotted the vast tribal land known as the Navajo Nation. The scientist advised Mr. Slowman, his wife and their two sons to move out until their home could be rebuilt.

"I was angry," Mr. Slowman said. "I guess it was here all this time, and we never knew."

The legacy wrought from decades of uranium mining is long and painful here on the expansive reservation. Over the years, Navajo miners extracted some four million tons of uranium ore from the ground, much of it used by the United States government to make weapons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/27/us/27navajo.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=uranium%20contamination&st=cse