2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:48:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, RADIATION: Lowry Air Force Base (CO) landfill

500 Homes And Shops Coming To A Landfill Near You

by Ben Gerig
Washington Park Profile (CO)
September 2009

A former "Low-Level Radioactive Waste Disposal Site} - labeled as such in Air Force Installation Documents – will become home to International Risk Group's (IRG) upcoming Lowry Vista housing and retail development.

The anticipated project is located at E. Alameda Ave. between Xenia and Dayton streets on the defunct Lowry Air Force Base.

IRG, a Littleton-based corporation with multiple subsidiaries, deals in the remediation and redevelopment of "brownfields," an Environmental Protection Agency term for land "with the presence or potential presence of a hazardous substance, pollutant, or contaminant."

"We're pursuing a General Development Plan (GDP) on the site," says Marcus Pachner of The Pachner Company, an IRG consultant. "We just re-submitted the second GDP about three months ago and in early October we'll start the rezoning process. It's full speed ahead now."

Lowry Vista will be a mixed-use development, including 500 residential units interspersed with commercial and retail spaces. Comparable to Lakewood's Belmar District along Alameda and Wadsworth, Lowry Vista blueprints are currently moving through city approval procedures before entering final review by the state.

http://washingtonparkprofile.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=654&Itemid=1