2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:02:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE, PUBLIC: Whittaker-Bermite site (CA) Community Advisory Group

Where has our little CAG gone?
Environmentally Speaking

Cam Noltemeyer
Santa Clarita Signal
November 5, 2009

For many years the Whittaker-Bermite facility made ordnance in the Santa Clarita Valley for the military. This 996-acre property, located off Soledad Canyon Road in the center of our city, is still polluting our groundwater with the chemicals used to make those bombs.

At the time, Whittaker was established, the Santa Clarita Valley was mostly empty farmland. It didn't seem to matter whether chemicals were dumped or handled carelessly because no one was around anyway.

Additionally, no one understood the effects such chemicals had on human health, though looking back, it seems like they should have.

For the entire column, see
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/20370/