2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2009 14:41:20 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PERCHLORATE, HEALTH: Rialto (CA) health study

Health probe started in Rialto water contamination

By JANET ZIMMERMAN
Riverside Press-Enterprise (CA)
December 2, 2009

The state is combing old water records to determine whether highly contaminated groundwater -- which now stretches for miles from an industrial site in Rialto -- caused illnesses among residents in the many decades before it was discovered, health officials said during a community meeting Wednesday night.

In 1997, three wells were found to have high levels of perchlorate, an ingredient in rocket fuel, and trichloroethylene, or TCE, an industrial solvent, which seeped into the soil and underground water. Water was not tested for perchlorate before then.

"You did get exposed. That's what we're trying to get a handle on -- how often and how long," Marilyn Underwood, a toxicologist with the state Department of Public Health, told an audience of more than two dozen people. "I think the good news is ... it seems like it happened for a fairly restricted time."

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_E_perchlorate03.46f64d2.html#