2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 08:00:18 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] TRIBES, REUSE: "Narragansetts still want Navy land" in Rhode Island

Narragansetts still want Navy land

By Richard Salit
Providence Journal (RI)
December 9, 2009

The Narragansett Indians are still interested in Navy land on Aquidneck Island despite Monday's announcement that the Bureau of Indian Affairs had withdrawn an application to acquire the surplus property on behalf of the tribe.

John Brown, medicine man in training, said the tribe did not support the application withdrawal and wants to continue to talk to Indian Affairs about the effort.

"We're working to redress the decision that was made," Brown said. "We are very interested in this property."

The Navy announced earlier this year that, as part of the Defense Department's Base Realignment and Closure Initiative (BRAC), it will dispose of 260 acres of land along the western shore of Aquidneck Island in Newport, Portsmouth and Middletown. The Navy is seeking market value for the land, which includes waterfront tracts and contaminated former fuel tanks sites.

http://www.projo.com/news/content/TRIBE_WANTS_NAVY_LAND_12-09-09_NHGNR8I_v13.3989855.html