2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:49:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: El Centro Naval Air Facility (CA)

Our Opinion: NAF El Centro must be protected

Editorial
IMPERIAL VALLEY PRESS (CA)
December 18, 2009

A resort in Imperial County sounds like a fine idea in theory, but we believe the proposed Desert Oasis Resort is not a good fit as it could put Naval Air Facility El Centro in jeopardy.

The issue for us is encroachment, specifically to bombing ranges used by pilots flying from the base. The proposed resort would certainly generate noise complaints, and birds attracted by the proposed lakes on the resort could be dangerous for aircraft flying in the area.

These are problems any military installation does not need, and could — in a worst-case scenario — lead to NAF’s closure. That may sound drastic to some, but communities that do not do everything they can to safeguard their military installations can find themselves without those bases.

We hope the County Planning Commission and Board of Supervisors look closely at this project and its positives and negatives. If they do, we believe the decision to protect NAF El Centro will be an easy one to reach.

For the entire editorial, see
http://www.ivpressonline.com/articles/2009/12/18/our_opinion/ed02_12-18-09.txt