2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 10:05:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, PRESERVATION: Moffett Field's (CA) Hangar One - Who pays?

As an active participant in Thursday night's Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) meeting, I am not convinced that the government on its own will come up with the money to restore Hangar One in a timely fashion. I asked NASA and other government representatives to engage the public in developing public-private partnership solutions, and toward that end the RAB established a subcommittee to promote more direct community involvement in intra-governmental discussions.

Lenny

***

NASA rep says Hangar One will get new walls

By Diana Samuels
Palo Alto Daily News (CA)
March 11, 2010

The fight over who has to pay to put new panels on Hangar One has been decided, and now the Navy and NASA Ames say they'll work together to help the space agency find a way to fund it.

Despite skepticism from hangar advocates, the two agencies struck a conciliatory and optimistic tone at a Moffett Field Restoration Advisory Board meeting Thursday night. NASA Ames Deputy Center Director Lew Braxton even walked across the meeting room at one point to give Navy representative Kathryn Stewart a hug to prove that the agencies are committed to working together.

Braxton said he's confident a new use will be found for the landmark hangar and it will be re-sided.

"I just can't guarantee when, but I guarantee it's going to happen," Braxton said after the meeting.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_14661510?nclick_check=1