2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 07:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] SHIPS: California's Ghost Fleet

Giving up the ghost fleet

Jan McGirk
China Dialogue
June 8, 2010

In California, rusting US navy ships that were poisoning bay waters for decades are being cleaned up, moved and recycled - thanks to a legal victory by local environmental groups. Jan McGirk reports.

It's clear that the health risks from a fleet of decrepit US navy troop ships and tankers, moored for nearly half a century in the shallow backwaters of San Francisco Bay, are being taken seriously at last. Before I am allowed to board any of the rusty warships -- which have been oozing oil, asbestos, dioxins, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and tonnes of heavy metals into the upper part of the bay for decades -- US officials insist that I sign a liability waiver. Afterwards, they warn me not to touch my eyes or consume any food until I undergo a thorough scrub.

Fifty-two of these Second World War-era vessels are finally being hauled away, one by one, from Suisun Bay after northern Californian environmentalists sued the Maritime Administration (MARAD) -- part of the US transportation department -- for violating the country's Clean Water Act and for illegally storing hazardous waste aboard the ships.

http://www.chinadialogue.net/article/show/single/en/3658