2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:05:52 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CLOSURE: South Weymouth Naval Air Station (MA) landfill

Weymouth: Navy proposes using contaminated soil for air base landfill cap

By John Penny
WATD-FM
July 12, 2010

A proposal by the Navy to use contaminated soil to cap the west gate landfill at the base has some members of the restoration advisory board up in arms.

The Navy is proposing to excavate soil near the main gate that's contaminated with PHA's and pesticides and use it to cap the contaminated west gate landfill. Several advisory board members including Weymouth town councilor Michael Smart vehemently oppose the idea, which is designed to cut costs.

Smart said, "The Navy is talking about cutting costs. I understand why people are alarmed. It raises questions whether the Navy is still committed to doing the best clean up or now committed to value engineering, which to me means making it cheaper, which directly affects the quality of the clean up."

For the entire story, see
http://www.959watd.com/news.php?Weymouth-Navy-proposes-using-contaminated-soil-for-air-base-landfill-cap-3846