2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <cswab@merr.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 07:05:58 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Seeking Lab for 6 isomers of DNT

Please post and circulate:

SEEKING LAB for 6 ISOMERS of DNT (soil and drinking water)

I am writing on behalf of Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger, a community-led nonprofit environmental group that has been monitoring the cleanup of Badger Army Ammunition Plant and other contaminated Department of Defense sites for more than 20 years.

The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) currently requires the U.S. Army to test groundwater and dozens of residential wells near Badger for all 6 isomers of Dinitrotoluene (DNT) however some community members would like to either confirm their results or, for homes that are not on the required testing list, residents would like to pay for testing themselves.

As a public service, our organization is trying to identify laboratories that can test DRINKING WATER (private residential well) for all 6 isomers of DNT.

We are also looking for a laboratory that can test SOILS for all isomers of DNT.  Environmental regulators have not required the Army to conduct soil testing for the 4 less common forms of DNT (2,5-, 3,5-, 3,4-, and 2,3-DNT)  however new land owners may pursue independent testing.

We understand that some labs are certified for DNTs as "explosive residue".  If this applies to your lab, we would like to know what detection limits can be expected of the method used in this analytical approach; please make sure to include the name of the test method in your response.  We would also like an estimate for testing a single private residential well.

For labs certified for the "BNA" (base neutral acids) group of analytes, the WDNR indicated that the lab will have to use the "Selected Ion Monitoring" (SIM) GC/MS (gas chromatograph/mass spectrometer) method to reach the low detection limits achieved by the Army (SpecPro Lab) to detect the DNT isomers.  We would like to know if your lab is capable of conducting the SIM method and what are the lowest DNT isomer detection limits that your lab is capable of reaching.  (We ask because the Health Advisory Level for total DNTs in drinking water is 0.05 ug/l and the test will be used to determine if drinking water is safe to use.)  We would also like an estimate for testing a private residential well.

CSWAB does not and will not advocate for any particular company for this or any other contract work.  Our goal is to provide the public with good information so community members can make informed decisions for themselves.   CSWAB does not charge for any publications, fact sheets, newsletters or other literature – everything is provided free.

Please send your response to Laura Olah, Executive Director, Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger (CSWAB) at info@cswab.org.  Questions?  Call

(608) 643-3124.

- END -