2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:31:31 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CHROMIUM: Norman, Oklahoma and Tinker Air Force Base

[It's not clear from this article if anyone has evaluated whether Tinker Air Force Base is a possible source of Norman's high levels of hexavalent chromium, but it is mentioned. - LS]

EPA to help cities with water issues

By Andy Rieger
Norman Transcript (OK)
December 23, 2010

NORMAN - The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency announced Wednesday it soon will issue guidance to all public water systems on how to test for and sample drinking water specifically for hexavalent chromium, also known as chromium-6.

The announcement by EPA administrator Lisa P. Jackson follows Monday's release of a study showing traces of the potential carcinogen in 31 of 35 city water systems tested. Norman Mayor Cindy Rosenthal said the city will pursue its own investigation on the source of chromium-6.

"The city of Norman looks forward to and welcomes the EPA's research efforts and technical assistance with respect to monitoring and testing. Meanwhile, we remain vigilant and will continue to pursue our own independent analysis of the particular source of chromium-6 in our area," she said.

Hexavalent chromium has been cited in the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality's Tinker Air Force Base Superfund Site history and background report. The cleanup site is in the northeast portion of Tinker where much rebuilding and refurbishing of aircraft took place.

http://normantranscript.com/headlines/x1473650941/EPA-likely-will-put-limits-on-chromium-6-in-drinking-water