2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2011 13:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH, FORMER SITES: Spring Valley (DC) health study proposal

Norton's brush with activist could net $1 million

Column by Harry Jaffe
Washington Examiner (DC)
July 7, 2011

On Thursday, Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton took to the House floor and offered an amendment to get $1 million for a health study to determine if toxic chemicals from World War I weapons have made residents ill in the Spring Valley neighborhood.

Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton was midway through the Palisades July 4 parade route on Monday when a fellow in fatigues and a World War I doughboy helmet approached her. He looked a tad batty, but this was Palisades' day for marching on the edge.

Allen Hengst handed Norton a flier about the search for World War I weapons in Spring Valley, a neighborhood over the hill about a mile east of Palisades. It described the basics: that the Army had used what is now American University to experiment with chemical weapons in 1917. It had dumped toxic waste in what were then forests and fields; since 1993 the Army Corps of Engineers has been digging up bombs and bottles of arsenic under what are now some of the most valuable homes in the Distric

For the entire column, see
http://washingtonexaminer.com/local/dc/2011/07/nortons-brush-activist- could-net-1-million