2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:31:41 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, NATURAL RESOURCES: Newport Chemical Depot (IN) prairie

Newport and the charade of public input

by Steven Higgs
Bloomington Alternative (IN)
September 27, 2011

While brainstorming with editors at NUVO for the Sept. 28 cover story on the Newport prairie controversy, I told them I love covering small- town power struggles because public officials inevitably shoot from the hip. They seldom display the political savvy of, say, a deputy director at a major state agency. By the time I had finished my reporting, the point was proven, in spades. Ditto the argument that citizen input into our democratic process has become little more than a sham.

Jack Fenoglio, for example, is president of the Newport Chemical Depot Reuse Authority and a lifelong member of the Izaak Walton League, an environmental advocacy group whose National Director Clara Walters lives in Clinton. She has organized national support for preserving a 336-acre black-soil prairie restoration on the Newport site. When I asked Fenoglio to square his opposition to the preservation with that of the organization, he minced no words.

"The prairie issue really started with one man who kind of led the project when he was working for Mason and Hanger," the retired metallurgical engineer said. "And he has got everybody else on the bandwagon to one degree more or less. But I think a lot of the rank and file members of all these organizations that he has brought to the table probably wouldn't recognize prairie grass if they saw it."

http://bloomingtonalternative.com/articles/2011/09/27/10776

See also
http://www.nuvo.net/indianapolis/newport-indiana-prairies-last-best- chance/Content?oid=2354511