2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:05:16 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: "Cleanup plan questioned as Southfield [South Weymouth Naval Air Station, MA] deadline nears"

Cleanup plan questioned as Southfield deadline nears

By Kyle Cheney
State House News Service (MA)
Quincy Patriot-Ledger (MA)
October 4, 2011

Despite amplified concerns about environmental contamination, a long- delayed project to turn a largely unused naval base on the South Shore into a new community with thousands of homes and businesses will overcome remaining obstacles, U.S. Rep. William Keating said Monday.

"It's going to get done. There’s not a day that goes by that one segment of our office isn’t working on this," Keating told the News Service during a visit to the State House Monday. “As issues come up, we’re knocking them down one at a time with our goal being, let’s get people to work.”

But the Quincy Democrat stopped short of endorsing a November deadline to surmount what has proven to be the most persistent hurdle: cutting a deal with the Navy to purchase and transfer 700 acres of land that will serve as the centerpiece of the $1.5 billion development.

http://www.patriotledger.com/business/x432920641/Cleanup-plan- questioned-as-Southfield-deadline-nears