2011 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 00:29:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HEALTH, REUSE: "Questions linger over Kelly AFB [TX] contamination..."

Questions linger over Kelly AFB contamination even after property changes hands

By Michael Barajas
San Antonio Current (TX)
October  12, 2011

Purple wooden crosses that dot this south San Antonio community are starting to age, their paint chipped and faded. Planted in lawns next to mailboxes, fences, and trees, they point to a battle with cancer for someone inside.

For many here, the crosses are a sign of the lasting, toxic legacy of the now-shuttered Kelly Air Force Base, which last year turned over its last patch of land to the Port San Antonio industrial park. But even as some residents continue to blame the neighborhood’s higher- than-normal rates of cancer and birth defects on chemicals that seeped off base decades ago, the proof is elusive. Kyle Cunningham, program manager at the City’s Public Center for Environmental Health, said last week the agency’s contract with the Air Force to study possible health effects from Kelly contamination, a cooperative agreement struck in 2001, ended last month. All the while, many in the neighborhood are critical that years of studies and reports have failed to answer that one nagging question: whether the Air Force is responsible for the rash of illnesses hammering the neighborhood.

"We've felt for a long time the contamination caused our sickness," says Robert Alvarado, a four-decade veteran of this so-called Toxic Triangle. "But apparently, we’ll never prove it. We'll be dead and everyone will forget what caused all of this."

http://sacurrent.com/news/questions-linger-over-kelly-afb- contamination-even-after-property-changes-hands-1.1216763

278-A Hope Street, Mountain View, CA 94041
Voice: 650-961-8918 or 650-969-1545
Fax: 650-961-8918