2012 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2012 00:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS: "Quantico [VA} wary of its explosive past"

Quantico wary of its explosive past

By Julia LeDoux
Inside NOVA (VA)
June 22, 2012

The Munitions Response Program at Quantico Marine Corps base has been addressing human health, environmental and safety concerns related to military munitions at the installation's inactive military munitions ranges since 2005.

"If you've ever had live fire at any of your bases, they are required to identify those areas that were formally used as ranges," said Maria N. Hoidal, environmental restoration program manager for the base. "This [program] is proactive, not reactive. We're trying to do a good job at identifying those areas and clean them up."

Hoidal noted that Quantico has a rich military history and has been a training site since World War I. Before that, it was the site of several Confederate encampments during the Civil War, and munitions dating back to that conflict are still found aboard what is now the Marine base.

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2012/jun/22/quantico-wary-its- explosive-past-ar-2007500/