2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2013 07:39:00 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs, REUSE: South Weymouth Naval Air Station (MA) solvent plume

Navy official highlights base cleanup

By Ed Baker
Weymouth News (MA)
March 5, 2013

Weymouth - Contaminants in the soil of a solvent release at the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station will be monitored and treated over the next five years by the Navy under a proposed cleanup plan.

"We will put some land-use controls around different areas to prevent (contaminant) contact with the groundwater," said Base Realignment and Closure Commission environmental coordinator David Barney during an information meeting Feb. 27 at New England Wildlife Center. "We will prevent water from being used by irrigation wells."

The site is located in the eastern portion of the base near Pidgeon Road and a drainage ditch to the east, according to a Navy report. Barney said reservists used the site as a pistol training range when the Navy operated the base and blimps were moored there. The causes of the contamination at the site are not known, according to the Navy report.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/weymouth/news/x846065696/Navy-official- highlights-base-cleanup#axzz2MrtX7d9E