2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2013 09:42:55 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] WETLANDS: CSWAB UPDATE: Badger RAB Urges WDNR to Consider Better Cleanup

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Laura Olah" <cswab@merr.com>
Date: March 9, 2013 7:56:44 AM PST

CSWAB UPDATE
Badger RAB Urges WDNR to Consider Better Cleanup at Settling Ponds

The following letter was submitted to the Wisconsin DNR yesterday:

Will Myers
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
3911 Fish Hatchery Road
Madison, WI 53711

March 8, 2013

SENT BY ELECTRONIC MAIL

Dear Mr. Myers,

As individual members of the Badger Restoration Advisory Board, we are writing to support cleanup of residual soil and sediment contamination at the Settling Ponds area at Badger Army Ammunition Plant that will allow for unrestricted future use instead of relying on land use restrictions and other institutional controls such as listing on the Department’s GIS Registry for Soil and Groundwater Contamination.

We are especially concerned that the soil remedial goals are insufficient for the explosive compound dinitrotoluene (DNT) because only two forms of DNT (2,4- & 2,6-DNT) are included in the proposed remedial goals. Toxicologists with the Wisconsin Division of Public Health have determined that the four lesser isomers of DNT are as toxic or more toxic than 2,4- and 2,6-DNT.  It is very important that soil remedial goals for all six forms of DNT are appropriate and protective of all future land users including children and expectant mothers.

We are also very concerned that the proposed soil remediation goal of 500 mg/kg for lead, which is the equivalent of cleanup standards for industrial land, may not be protective of human health and the environment.  It seems especially high when compared to lead cleanup at other areas inside Badger which has been 250 mg/kg or less.  The use of these much higher soil cleanup goals may not be appropriate for children and other vulnerable populations.

Whenever possible, we believe that soil cleanup should allow for unrestricted future use.  Institutional controls such as listing on the Department’s GIS Registry for Soil and Groundwater Contamination and restrictions on land use are no substitute for cleanup.  This is our last chance to clean up and restore the Badger lands – let’s do it right.

Sincerely,

Bill Wenzel, Village of Prairie du Sac
Michele Hopp, Village of Merrimac
Mary Jane Koch, At Large Member
Mary Carol Solum, At Large Member
Charlie Wilhelm, At Large Member
Ron Lins, Town of Prairie du Sac
Chris Hanson, At Large Member
Laura Olah, Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
Ken Lins, At Large Member
Craig Hamilton, Town of Merrimac
Judy Ashford, Sauk County
Lance Delaney, At Large Member
Bill Stehling, At Large Member

--
Laura Olah, Executive Director
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger (CSWAB)