2013 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 14:55:00 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CHEMWEAPONS: Field Deployable Hydrolysis System

Pentagon developing mobile units to neutralize chemical weapons materials

By Marcus Weisgerber
Air Force Times
September 4, 2013

WASHINGTON - Should the Pentagon need to destroy stockpiles of chemical weapons, it can do so with new mobile systems that can neutralize and destroy the materials, according to defense officials.

The Field Deployable Hydrolysis System (FDHS) is designed to destroy chemical warfare agents in bulk and can be up and running within 10 days of arriving on site.

"We are acquiring some ability to deal with chemical materials should we be in a position where we have to do that," Frank Kendall, the Defense Department's undersecretary for acquisition, technology and logistics, said Wednesday during a presentation at the IDEEA- sponsored COMDEF conference in Washington.

http://www.airforcetimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013309040028