2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 18:18:34 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FORMER SITES, CHEMWEAPONS: "No End in Sight for Spring Valley [DC] Military Debris Removal Project"

No End in Sight for Spring Valley Military Debris Removal Project
Eleven years after the project began, the Army is still digging up toxic waste in the neighborhood.

By Harry Jaffe
Washingtonian (DC)
January 16, 2014

On Monday workmen unearthed another crusty munition from its current excavation of the toxic-waste site on Glenbrook Road, a stone’s throw from the American University campus. The fourth such find pulled from the ground in tony Spring Valley since September, the artifact turned out to be a 75-millimeter shrapnel round buried when the Army abandoned a experimental warfare station after World War I.

The Army Corps of Engineers immediately shut down the Glenbrook Road operation, transported the bomb to a secure site behind Sibley Memorial Hospital, and checked it for explosives.

"The fill was determined to be a riot-control agent that was used during World War I," the Corps announced Wednesday, saying that it "poses no danger to the workers or community."

http://www.washingtonian.com/blogs/capitalcomment/local-news/no-end- in-sight-for-spring-valley-military-debris-removal-project.php