2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2014 09:12:18 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: "Drilling near Fort Detrick [MD] unearths unsafe groundwater"

Drilling near Fort Detrick unearths unsafe groundwater

By Cara R. Anthony
Frederick News-Post (MD)
March 6, 2014

The latest off-post drilling project near a Fort Detrick Superfund site has revealed unsafe levels of groundwater contamination about 100 feet from the Army's property line.

In a preliminary observation, the Army has detected TCE levels above the maximum contaminant level on an adjacent property owned by Waverly View Investors LLC. The discovery is an early observation that could change as work continues on the property, Fort Detrick officials explained Wednesday night during a meeting with the Restoration Advisory Board.

"I think the take-home message is that we are not seeing a plume that is extending southward that is impacting anyone," said Joseph Gortva, Detrick's restoration manager.

http://www.fredericknewspost.com/news/politics_and_government/ governmental_and_political_topics/military/army-continues-research-of- superfund-site/article_d340d26e-8c64-5673-bc61-ab330362a0a1.html

You may need to copy and paste the link.