2014 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 20:42:29 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: "Several Claim Army 'Dragged Its Feet' On Toxic Vapor Testing Near Fort Gillem, " GA

Several Claim Army 'Dragged Its Feet' On Toxic Vapor Testing Near Fort Gillem

By Michelle Wirth
WABE Atlanta (GA) Public Radio
December 4, 2014

Earlier this year, the Army discovered toxic vapor in several homes near Fort Gillem. The former Army base is in Clayton County. It used to serve as a maintenance facility, and hazardous chemicals were routinely buried on its grounds. Now there's a debate about whether the Army is to blame for the unhealthy air.

Chad Partin plays in his living room with his wife and young son. He lives in a newer two-story home about a mile from Fort Gillem. Partin and his wife thought they'd found the perfect house when they purchased it five years ago. But then Partin got a flier on his door. The Army wanted to test Partin's home for chemicals in the air which could be potentially hazardous to human health. That's when Partin became worried.

"We don't feel safe here. I have a four-year-old son. I'm concerned everyday of him sleeping here and what kind of things it's doing to his body. My wife has constant headaches. My dog has a growth on the side of her head. Those may not be anything attributed to this kind of this stuff, but who knows."

http://wabe.org/post/several-claim-army-dragged-its-feet-toxic-vapor- testing-near-fort-gillem