2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 23:09:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE: Plattsburgh Air Force Base (NY) 22 years later

Decision to close PAFB blindsided community

By JOE LoTEMPLIO
Plattsburgh Press-Republican (NY)
September 26, 2015

PLATTSBURGH - The news that Plattsburgh Air Force Base would be closing hit the North Country like a lightning bolt on a clear day in 1993.

"That definitely became one of the darker days in our history," former Clinton County Administrator William Bingel told the Press-Republican recently.

"Everybody thought: There goes our economy."

The Strategic Air Command base generated an estimated $150 million each year for the North Country, and it brought to the region a wealth of diverse culture from all over the country.

As it turned out, the North Country's economy did not collapse with the base closure, and the redevelopment effort has been praised as one of the most successful stories in the country.

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.pressrepublican.com/news/local_news/decision-to-close-pafb-blindsided-community/article_a77ae535-d2b5-5cdb-ba92-4fba55bfba3f.html

278-A Hope Street