2015 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 11:10:39 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] HISTORY, RADIATION: "Savannah River Plant [SC] brought fear and culture to area"

Savannah River Plant brought fear and culture to area

by Derrek Asberry
Aiken Standard (SC)
October 17, 2015

The arrival of the Savannah River Plant 65 years ago included more than nuclear weapons and life-altering construction.

It also included Aiken County becoming a community that catered to the arts and other new hobbies all while a cloud of fear loomed over the community due to lack of knowledge.

“Husbands couldn’t talk about their work,” said Paula Joseph, the wife of plant retiree Walt Joseph. “It was a very scary time because we knew what they were doing was important, but we couldn’t know what they were doing. I always knew what the men in my family did, so it was difficult not knowing.”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.aikenstandard.com/article/20151017/AIK0101/151019451/1004

278-A Hope Street